Board Certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
Dr. Emily C. Hartmann was born and raised in Chico California and is happy to call herself a native and local Chicoan once again. She is a female plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic and general reconstructive plastic surgery. A graduate of Georgetown University’s School of Medicine, she then completed specialty training in plastic surgery at the University of Wisconsin, Madison where she was a resident and chief in their Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Division. Dr. Hartmann continued to develop her surgical expertise within the field of aesthetic plastic surgery during her tenure at an ASAPS-credentialed, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine affiliated, cosmetic surgery fellowship in Marina Del Rey and Beverly Hills, CA. There she worked hand-in-hand with world-renowned masters in their respective aesthetic surgical fields. This specialized training focused on breast surgery, body contouring, rhinoplasty, facelifts, and eyelid surgery, amongst many other procedures.
Dr. Hartmann resides in Chico with her three children and husband. She prides herself in understanding the challenges of parenthood, in particular the role that pregnancy and breastfeeding play in a woman’s body. Her ultimate goal is to use her surgical expertise to help realize her patients medical and aesthetic needs. Dr. Hartmann wants the patient to feel confident that in her they will find a caring, compassionate doctor who is always willing to be of service to her patients: past, present and future. Plastic surgery, whether aesthetic or reconstructive, is an intimate process and you as a patient should feel comfortable and cared for throughout the entire process of your consultation, surgery, care and recovery. Dr. Hartmann has a history of providing this relationship to her patients and looks forward to continuing to foster a caring and compassionate plastic surgery practice in both the Chico area and greater north state region.
Dr. Hartmann has earned extensive educational and professional credentials, including:
- BS in Biology from California State University, Chico
- MS in Physiology and Biophysics from Georgetown University
- MD from Georgetown University
- 5-year Integrated Plastic Surgery Residency at University of Wisconsin, Madison
- 1-year Research Fellowship at University of Wisconsin, Madison in the Departments of Neuroscience and Plastic Surgery
- Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship (6 months) with Dr. Grant Stevens in Marina Del Rey, CA
- Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship (6 months) with Drs. Jay Calvert, Rollin Daniel, Ritu Chopra, and Andrew Orden in Beverly Hills, CA
- Editor on the Aesthetic Subcommittee for Plastic Surgery Education Network
- Outstanding Medical Student Educator, Department of General Surgery, UW Madison
- Travel Scholarship, Women in Plastic Surgery Conference, Las Vegas, NV
- Medical Student Educator, Leader of medical student suture workshop, WI
- Medical Student Educator, Instructed course on plastic surgery principles, WI
- Research Poster Competition Winner, American College of Physicians, Washington D.C.
- Floyd L. English Scholarship Key Note Speaker, California State University, Chico, CA
- Commencement Reflection Speaker, California State University, Chico, CA
Floyd L. English Natural Sciences Scholarship, California State University, Chico, CA
- President of the Pre-medical Association, CSU Chico, CA
- Implant-based Breast Reconstruction (CSPS meeting), Dr. Peter G Cordeiro, Monterey, CA
- Facial Anatomy Scolpture Course, Dr. Hale Tolleth, Madison WI
- Advances in Facial Restoration and Rejuvenation Course, ASMS, New Orleans, LO
- Scientific Writing Workshop, UW Institute for Clinical & Translational Research, Madison WI
Dr. Hartmann has authored and co-authored many peer-reviewed professional journal articles and book chapters, and she has presented research resolts nationally.
- Spring M, Hartmann EC, Stevens GW. Strategies and challenges in simoltaneous augmentation mastopexy. Clinics of Plastic Surgery. 2015 (In Press)
- Hartmann EC, Spring M, Stevens GW. 1 and 2 stage considerations for breast augmentation mastopexy. Neligan Plastic Surgery 4e. Breast Volume. (In Press)
- Hartmann EC, Rovelo M, Macias LH, Stevens GW. Icing on the cake: a review of patients treated with non-surgical rejuvenation treatments post-rhytidectomy. Annals of Plast Surg. CSPS Suppl. 2015 (In Press)
- Ducic I, Hartmann EC, Larson EE. Indications and outcomes for surgical treatment of patients with chronic migraine headaches caused by occipital neuralgia. PRS, 2009;123(5):1453-61.
- Makary, A Mukherjee, J Sexton, D Syin, E Goodrich, E Hartmann, L Rowen, D Behrens, M Marohn, P Pronovost. Operating Room Briefings and Wrong-Site Surgery. Journal of American College of Surgeons, February 2007; Volume 204, Issue 2:236-243.
- Makary MA, Epstein J, Pronovost PJ, Millman EA, Hartmann EC, Freischlag. Surgical Specimen Identification Errors: A New Measure of Quality in Surgical Care. JA. Surgery,2007;141:450-455.
- Makary, R. Takenaga, P. Pronovost, A. Millman, E. Hartmann, D. Chang, N. Sakima, J. Harmon, L. Fried. Frailty in elderly surgical patients: Implications for operative risk assessment. Journal of Surgical Research, February 2006; Volume 130, Issue 2:212-212.
- Hartmann EC, Macias LH, Stevens WG Icing on the cake: A review patients who underwent non-surgical facial rejuvenation treatments following rhytidectomy.” California Society of Plastic Surgeons, Monterey CA. May 2015 (Podium)
- Hartmann EC, Macias LH, Stevens WG. Icing on the cake: A review patients who underwent non-surgical facial rejuvenation treatments following rhytidectomy.” American Society of Aesthetic Surgeons, Montreal Canada May 2015 (Poster)
- Hartmann EC, Afifi A, Kempton S. “The Analysis of Tension Reduction for Each Phase of Abdominal Component Separation.” Plastic Surgery Research Council, Los Angeles, CA.
- Hartmann EC, Afifi A, Kempton S. “The Analysis of Tension Reduction for Each Phase of Abdominal Component Separation.” Plastic Surgery Research Council, Los Angeles, CA. April 2013 (Poster)
- Hartmann EC, Poore SO, Iskandar B. “The Effects of Folic Acid on Peripheral Nerve Regeneration in a Rat Sciatic Crush Injury Model.” Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons, Chicago IL. April 2012 (Podium)
- Hartmann EC, Navarette A, King T. “A Survey of ASPS Members’ Experiences With Pediatric Sports-Related Facial Fractures.” Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons, Chicago, IL. April 2011 (Podium)
- Hartmann EC, Bentz ME, Ranade M. “Vaginal Reconstruction Following Resection For Gynecologic Malignancy.” Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons, Chicago, IL. May 2010 (Podium)
- Hartmann EC, Makary M, Millman A, Chang D, Pronovost, P. “Time of Day, Weekend, and Holiday Association of Medical Errors in the Intensive Care Unit.” American College of Physicians Regional Conference, Washington, DC. March 2007 (Poster)
- Cleland EJ, Hanne L, Kirk L. “The Role of Single Stranded Binding Protein in Arthrobacter aurescens Plasmid Transfer.” Annual Meeting of the Association of North Bay Scientists, San Jose, CA. April 2003 (Podium)
By far the best results I could have imagined. Dr. Hartmann is such a talented surgeon and a wonderful caring physician, something that is very rare today. Chico and Butte Co. is so fortunate to have her serving our community now. Thank you sincerely, you’re the best!